Here are a few examples of what can happen:
- An employee uses the company vehicle to transport their child’s soccer team to a game.
- An employee’s teenager takes your vehicle for a joy ride.
- Your employee allows the neighbor to use your company vehicle.
Consider the following:
- Obtain proof of, and review, the motor vehicle records of the employee and all household drivers.
- Complete proper training of the use of the company vehicle.
- Complete vehicle safety inspections.
- Complete drug and alcohol testing of all employees - including management.
- Create driving standards and stick to them.
- Do post-accident reviews.
- Have annual MRV checks.
- Prohibit cell phone usage while driving.
- Only allow your employee and his/her household to drive the vehicle.
- Require the employee never keep company property inside the vehicle, even if locked.